Checklist for Generating Barcodes
Use this handy checklist when generating and printing barcodes. It’s a list of the most common errors and issues we see on our subscribers’ barcodes.
- Ensure the correct symbol is used for the relevant product, application and scanning environment.
- Check the barcode will remain readable in the environment in which the product will be stored, handled and distributed
- Ensure the check digit is correct.
- Check the size of the barcode – both magnification and bar height. Ensure there are adequate quiet zones, and that any optional Quiet Zone Indicators are correctly placed.
- Check there is adequate contrast between the bars and the background, and that the colours chosen will scan.
- Make sure the colour of the contents of the packaging will not unduly affect the contrast between the bars and spaces.
- Check the position of the symbol on the final, formed product.
- Ensure that no shrink-wrap, tape or other printing will obscure the barcode on the finished product.
- Ensure no other barcodes will be visible or show through from inside the pack.
- Carry out routine verification at all levels of packaging to ensure that the barcode complies with the required quality standard, and to identify any potential problems.
- Check the print quality regularly throughout the print run by verifying the barcode quality.
- Notify trading partners of GTINs and the products they identify through our DataKart service.